Sunday 16 October 2011

Research on how to use effective shots

I wanted to remind myself on some good camera shots and how to use them effectively. I visited many websites and learned a variety of new shots that will hopefully help me when it comes to the filming of my project. I hope to integrate as many shots as I can in my movie without make it look unnecessary.
 List of shots



  • Extreme Wide shot: used to set the scene or shot (establishing shot)
  • Very wide shot (yes there is a difference)  The subject is visible (barely), but the emphasis is still on placing him in his environment
  • Wide shot: 
  •  The subject takes up the full frame, or at least as much as comfortably possible.
  • Mid shot:  Shows some part of the subject in more detail while still giving an impression of the whole subject.
  • Medium up close shot: Halfway between a mid shot and a close up.
  • Close up:  A certain feature or part of the subject takes up the whole frame.
  • Extreme close up: Self explanatory really
  • Cut in:  Shows some (other) part of the subject in detail.
  • Cut away:  A shot of something other than the subject.
  • Over the shoulder shot: Looking from behind a person at the subject.
  • Point of view shot: Shows a view from the subject's perspective.
  • Two shot: A shot of two people, framed similarly to a mid shot.


A few picture examples

Point of view shot

Extreme wide shot 









No comments:

Post a Comment