Wednesday 11 April 2012

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

I learnt a reasonable amount from the audience feedback I received from friends, family and classmates. It was a mix of constructive criticism and positive feedback. Sadly I didn't receive as much feedback as I would have liked, but for the purpose of evaluation, I will pick the most useful to me for the purpose of learning.

In terms of my Ancillary pieces, on-going advice was given during the editing and finalization of both my products. An expert in Adobe software was brought in to help us achieve what we wanted, he gave some good advice to what should be included on my film review and advised me to look at other examples such as "Empire"  "Rotten Tomatoes" and many other. He also advised me to look at many exemplar film posters with just one centered object acting as a teaser. For this I know I needed a strong picture, I used the the chair and made it black and white. He refereed to my poster as being "Effective with a powerful centered picture" And he liked the way I used the writing on the joints of the chair. In terms of my Film Review, after being advised to look at exemplars, I integrated the rating system and the use of a picture from the film. I did however just have a bulk of text, and with my audience feedback I was advised to split up my text in a professional, effective manner, and that is how I came up with the idea to use straight black lines to split up my text.

However there was still a lot of improvements that could have been made to both my ancillary tasks. If I had time I would have used my audience feedback to improve, but this being my first attempt to make both a poster and film review, mistakes were inevitable. Advise such as "Crediting main stars in the film poster" or " Lack of information about the film" to me, was very important in the learning curve of developing an effective poster. But some positive feedback such as "Very strong picture" and "I like the way the text is integrated to the chair" made me feel like something I was doing was successful. In terms of my Film Review, I had many comments saying it was rather bland, in fact I did think it was a problem, but I wanted a professional look and I couldn't find any color combination that suited what I wanted. So admittedly that is an area of improvement, and I have learnt to spend more time sorting, and selecting an appropriate color scheme for my work. I also got some comments about the lack of information about the movie itself "Where is the casting list, duration etc" I deliberately didn't include this, I felt it was too feature film like. I wanted to create a new styled film review for short films, not just conform the the conventions of feature film reviews. I did get some positive feedback such as "Looks very professional" and "Well split up but columns wouldn't go a miss". Once again I felt the need to steer away from columns as every single review I looked at had them. If I am trying to create something new that was defiantly the place to start.

In terms of my short film, I did not actually get any feedback on my rough cut from my classmates, I received feedback from friends, family and teachers but not from my class mates. And once again the quantity of feedback was limited but it did suffice. During my rough cut most of my family made some positive comments that helped me during the editing of my final piece. Such as "The opening is a bit shaky but I like the way it starts from the sky" And yes the opening was shaky at points, even though a tripod was used, it seemed to jolt every time I filmed it, so after five separate attempts I decided that I will have to pick the best one. This is also an area of improvement and something I have learned a lot from. Other comments such as "Suitcase scene drags out a little". Now as I had problems with the file type, I could not import my rough cut, but compared to the final cut, the scene were he walks into his room and puts the suitcase down was considerably longer in the rough cut. This helped quite a lot as it enabled me to cut a lot of unnecessary footage out of my work, also allowing the film to flow a lot smoother. I had other comments complimenting my work, " I really like the authenticity of the hanging scene" and "The children noise ending at a high was very effective" Making me feel like something was going right during the editing process. The project overall was a bit short, the limit was 5 minutes and I only just reached 3. In terms of that I have learnt to film a lot more shots, maybe more cutaway shots to split up the piece. Either way I have got to get more footage to reach a higher standard. To make me feel better I will revert to what my family said "quality over quantity" even if that is questionable.

Overall my audience feedback made me aware of many problems in both my editing and filming of my projects. And the planning should be a lot more in depth, I did plan but not to an A2 standard as I soon found out when the project became overwhelming. But with the help of my peers and teachers, I edited and created some (what I consider) strong pieces of work. And as life is just one big learning curve, I hope to remember and put what I have learnt in to practice next time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment